MOUNTAIN LINE CELEBRATES 20 YEARS OF SERVING FLAGSTAFF
FLAGSTAFF, AZ (October 12, 2021) – On October 13, 2001 the first Mountain Line buses rolled out on the streets of Flagstaff and 20 years later, there are more buses and more riders, but the agency’s mission remains the same – Getting You Where You Want to Go.
Coconino County started Pine Country Transit in 1983, which transitioned to Mountain Line in 2001. When Mountain Line launched, the service included four routes and six buses operating six days a week. Ridership in the first year was 191,506. Today, Mountain Line operates nine routes, seven days a week, with 28 hybrid-electric buses and ridership topped 2.5 million pre-COVID.
In its two decades of service to Flagstaff, Mountain Line has seen significant growth and accomplishments to further transit in the community, including:
• Built the region’s first Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system connecting Northern Arizona University to the Woodlands Village area and downtown Flagstaff.
• Awarded the American Public Transportation Association’s “Transit System of the Year”
• Established seasonal service between Flagstaff and Arizona Snowbowl
• Served approximately 20,000 (pre-COVID) riders a year on Mountain Line Paratransit
• Secured more than $75 million in competitive grants
• Developed countless partnerships with schools, non-profits, and partner organizations
“It is a tremendous honor for Mountain Line to celebrate 20 years and we would not be where we are today without our incredible staff, supportive board members and elected officials, invested community leaders, and our riders,” said Mountain Line CEO and General Manager Heather Dalmolin. “This organization is about much more than the buses we put out on the road each day and we look forward to 20 more years of providing essential connections to our community.”
Mountain Line is posting memories of the last 20 years on Facebook and Instagram, tagged with #mountainline20.
Mountain Line is the transit agency in northern Arizona operating fixed route bus service on nine routes, paratransit service, vanpool, and seasonal Mountain Express service to Arizona Snowbowl. www.mountainline.az.gov for more information.